The London borough of Lambeth
If you're considering a move to London or just want to change neighbourhood then why not consider Lambeth? It is one of 33 boroughs located in London just south of the river. It's a central location and is just three miles wide and seven miles long. Lambeth is home to many iconic London institutions such as The London Eye, Royal Festival Hall and St Thomas' Hospital. Lambeth is a borough that is home to many young people which could be due to the close proximity popular and iconic areas of Clapham and Brixton which offer a rich array of nightlife.
So here's the lowdown on Lambeth's 21 different electoral wards:
- Bishop's - This is a central area that is home to London Waterloo Station, the London Eye, and the very popular South Bank, it is located adjacent to the River Thames.
- Brixton Hill - Brixton is a very popular area of London due to it's rich offering of nightlife. It is home to many iconic music venues such as Brixton Academy and Hootenany's. It's also an area made famous for it's street markets and shops. This is a truly multicultural area that contains a real mix of people; young and old, rich and poor.
- Clapham Common - A very popular area to live for young people due to it's rich offering of nightlife, but it does come at a high price! This is a fairly green area due to the large open space eponymously called Clapham Common.
- Clapham Town - A very popular area to live for young people due to it's rich offering of nightlife, but it does come at a high price! This area has great transport links largely thanks to the major station of Clapham Junction as well as many underground stations.
- Coldharbour An area very close to Brixton and Camberwell it is a residential area but also houses many retail buildings.
- Ferndale Also contains parts of Clapham and Brixton and is also in close proximity to Coldharbour and Brixton Station.
- Gipsy Hill Takes it name from the fact it was once a rural location and home to Gypsies now it is an area of central London.
- Herne Hill An area in close proximity to Brixton and Dulwich which offers great transport links into central London making it popular with young professionals.
- Knight's Hill An area of Lambeth that is very close to Upper Norwood in the borough of Croydon and is a mainly residential area.
- Larkhall Nestled in between Clapham and Stockwell this is a mostly residential area that contains three schools and Lambeth Hospital.
- Oval An area very close to Kennington and Vauxhall and home to Oval cricket ground.
- Prince's This is an area made up from areas of Kennington and Vauxhall. It is home to MI6 Headquarters and Vauxhall City Farm.
- St Leonard's - An area of Streatham which is an area of current regeneration. It is not such a popular place to live due to it's poor transport links but is definitely an area to watch.
- Stockwell - An area of inner city London that is home to a large Portuguese community. Residential areas in Stockwell are both social and privately owned. There are many bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
- Streatham Hill - An area in close proximity to Balham and Brixton that is most definitely an up and coming area with introduction of trendy wine bars and cafes.
- Streatham South - An area of Streatham which is an area of current regeneration. It is not such a popular place to live due to it's poor transport links but is definitely an area to watch.
- Streatham Wells - An area of Streatham which is an area of current regeneration. It is not such a popular place to live due to it's poor transport links but is definitely an area to watch.
- Thurlow Park A mainly residential area that also contains areas of Tulse Hill and West Norwood
- Tulse Hill An area in close proximity to Brixton and West Dulwich
- Vassal A very central area that borders with the borough of Southwark and is an area of previous depravation.
Quirky facts about Lambeth
- Lambeth dates back as early as 1062, the origins of its name means a 'landing place for lambs'
- Lambeth has the UK'S largest Portuguese population
- London Waterloo train station, Lambeth is the largets train station in London and is ten hectares
- Samuel Pepys once lived in Lambeth
- Lambeth is home to Brixton Academy
Transport in Lambeth
Clapham High street
Waterloo + Waterloo East
- Clapham Common
- Clapham North
- Lambeth North
Here's the statistical bit
The property prices in Lambeth exceed the average house prices found in London. Detached homes in Lambeth come with a price tag or over £1m and a semi-detached home will cost you just under that. On average a terraced home will set you back at least £800,000 and the average price of a flat is £400,000+
Properties for rent in Lambeth
If you would like to search for properties to rent in Lambeth you can use our free and easy to use search engine, simply enter a postcode or type in an area. If you're still not sure of where to live you can fill out our free questionaire which will do the searching for you.
Properties for sale in Lambeth
If you're lucky enough to be able to search for properties for sale in Lambeth you can use our free and easy to use search engine, simply enter a postcode or type in an area. If you're still not sure of where to live you can fill out our free questionaire which will do the searching for you.